Monday, January 5, 2009

My New Years Resolution...

I fear my New Year's resolution will be something I always struggle with. Yeah there are lots of those things like overeating, weight, impatience, the list goes on... but this is something very real and frustrating to me. Something that I never thought would be an issue - but it has become one. VIDEO GAMES. Yep, I said it. No, I am NOT obsessed with playing video games, I am far from it. They can sometimes ruin my day - mostly - MY ATTITUDE. My amazing husband has a great gift for playing these, and it is his favorite hobby. In no way do I want to take this enjoyment away from him, I just prefer to have nothing to do with it. In past, I have made some attempts to involve myself in them, by finding games I would like to play and getting him involved. Did you see how that worked? They were games I wanted to play. Not necessarily what he wanted to do. So selfish, I know. So until today, I genuinely thought that was a "good enough" effort... involving myself with them, even if it was something I chose to play. BUT anyone who knows Ryan knows that he ADORES his daddy, and wants to be JUST like him! And he is. So for Christmas Ryan got a few games... some that he could play with us, and some he could play alone. Well since Christmas I have hardly seen the kid, and it down right ticks me off. I think all things are good in moderation. That is a philosophy I truly believe. Then today Joe reminded me to "find something else to preoccupy him specifically" to deter his mind from ONLY wanting to play the games. So I thought about it and decided I would play a game he wanted to play and REALLY pay attention, and get involved. So as we were playing a short demo game, Ryan was just giddy telling me what everything was and what I was supposed to do. Joe said to me " Heather, he has watched this demo 50 times, but never been this excited. It's because you care about something he loves." THAT WAS HARD FOR ME TO HEAR. So my resolution is to be more in tune with my children, and their unique abilities, even if it's not something I really enjoy.

No comments: